« Home | Fim! De semana » | Afinal... » | Publicidade descarada* » | Então e... » | Breviário de fitas: ensaio sobre o apocalipse » | Um poeminha em cartaz » | Breviário de leituras: Soon I will be invincible » | I want to do it with you » | $233.95 » | Breviário de fitas: shaken, not stirred » 

23 novembro 2008 

Breviário de leituras: Love is a mix tape

Love is a mix tape, Rob Sheffield

«Renée and I ran into each other again when the poet John Ashbery came to town for a reading. He was one of my idols, the man who wrote The Double Dream of Spring. I got to meet him after the reading, but I blew it. A bunch of us were hovering around, trying to think of clever things to say. He’d just read his poem “The Songs We Know Best” and was explaining that he’d written it to go with the melody of Peaches and Herb’s “Reunited” because the song was all over the radio and he couldn’t get the tune out of his head. So I asked if he was a fan of Wham!’s “Last Christmas”, which of course has the same melody as “Reunited”. He smiled graciously and said no, he hadn’t, but that he liked George Michael. Then he went back to saying nothing at all and my friends were furious and I was mortified and I will go to my grave wondering why I spent my one moment in the presence of this great man discussing Wham! (and not even a good Wham! song), but I guess that’s the double dream of dipshit I am.
Afterwards I stood at the bar, drowning my sorrows. Renée came up to kick my shins and bum a cigarette. She mentioned that her birthday was coming up in a few days. As always, there were a few other boys from her fan club hovering around, so we all went out for a late-night tour of Charlottesville’s cheaper drinking establishments. I squeezed into a booth next to her and we talked about music. She told me you can sing the Beverly Hillbillies theme to the tune of R.E.M.’s “Talk About The Passion”. That was it, basically; as soon as she started to sing “Talk About The Clamppetts”, any thought I had of not falling in love with her went down in some serious Towering Inferno flames. It was over. I was over.»
________

Etiquetas:

B.I.

Coisas Breves

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates